Millinocket Historical Society

Preserving Millinocket’s heritage, one story at a time.

Month: June 2017

Holiday Hours and More!

Add the museum to your to-do list for the 4th of July and days before and after. The museum will be open extra days and hours. Watch for the new OPEN sign to be on. In addition, appointments for other times are available too. Contact information below.
Thurs., June 30, 12 noon – 3PM
Fri., June 29, 12 noon – 3 PM
Sat., July 1, 11 AM – 4 PM
Sun., July 2, 11 AM – 4 PM
Mon., July 3, 11 AM – 4 PM
Tues., July 4, 10 AM – 4 PM
Wed., July 5, 12 noon – 4PM
Thurs., Fri., Sat., July 6, 7, 8 open regular hours, 12 noon – 3PM

“Hiking from a Comfortable Chair!” is what we are calling an event being held at the museum on Saturday, July 1, 1PM-3PM. Maine author Greg Westrich, author of the newly published guide book “Hiking Maine’s Baxter State Park will present a slide show and talk about some of the lesser known park trails. Please join us for all or part of the afternoon! No charge, donations to MHS welcome.
Student visitors to the museum are always welcome! A group of five students and adult supervisors from SHS stopped by early one morning. They were given a tour and had a chance to browse the exhibits. Items in the military room caught the attention of the boys. Others in the group were interested in the school and sports displays. On another day, two girls from Camden visited as part of a school project. They had selected Millinocket and had questions about the mill and town’s history and how things had changed. As with all young people today, one recorded their interview with two of us (volunteers, correct term docents) while the other went through their list of questions on her tablet.
Visitors include the first AT hikers of the season, southbound to Georgia (they live in Georgia) and our first foreign visitors of 2017, two students (China) currently enrolled at SHS. The museum’s 2017 visitor’s map is starting to be filled in. We color in each state and country whose citizens drop in.
A small label from a prescription bottle or other container was donated to the collection by Susan Jandreau. It is from the 1940’s and prescribed by Dr. E.T. Young and says: For pain, one if needed after 4 hours. No patient’s name is given. The doctor’s hours were 2-4 and 7-8. It does not say which days, so I assume it was seven days a week. Both his office phone number and home phone are given (288-2 and 288-3).

*** A new paver order has been sent, but orders for the next group are being taken. Contact MHS for the specifics. The pavers are $100.00 each (tax deductible) and may be in honor or in memory, for a school or team, business, organization or in your own name.

Hiking Baxter Park, Author Visit July 1

“Hiking from a Comfortable Chair” is an event happening at the museum on Saturday, July 4 from  1 PM-3 PM. Maine writer Greg Westrich, author of the newly published guide book “Hiking Maine’s Baxter State Park will present a slide show and talk on some of the parks lesser known trails. Please join us for all or part of the afternoon. No charge, donations to MHS welcome!

Odds & Ends from the Museum

“Hiking from a Comfortable Chair!” is what we are calling an event being held at the museum on Saturday, July 1, 1PM-3PM. Maine author Greg Westrich, author of the newly published guide book “Hiking Maine’s Baxter State Park will present a slide show and talk about some of the lesser known park trails. Please join us for all or part of the afternoon! No charge, donations to MHS welcome.

Lots of people are savers! They save every ticket, program and news article that has anything to do with their family, their team, their town or just anything that catches their fancy at the moment. It’s lucky for the museum that some folks do this. One example is Bobbie Allen. A few years ago she donated 30+scrapbooks of “Memories” to the museum. These included many photos and a whole lot more. Just recently she brought in a collection to be added to the “Memories” books. Some were added to the cataloged collection individually. Being a supporter of all the school musical events, she donated more than a dozen programs from plays and concerts. There were photos of the Katahdin Rangers with one showing them in the early days before they had their uniforms. The museum already had copies of this photo, but this one appears to be an original. There are photos of Junior Pro basketball and a 1991 tournament basketball program and a news article describing the “last hurrah” of the old iconic Stearns gym. Among older items in this collection are two GNP photos of three workers receiving watches at their retirement in 1959. They are D. Civiello, S. Fairley and P. Cyr. Another older item is a card presented to Helen Pound from Onawa Chapter, Eastern Star for outstanding service. Her service began in 1921. No date given for when it was presented.

Check out the new museum sign recently completed by MHS president David Cyr and others. The portion of the sign with the word “MUSEUM” was made from a sheet of stainless steel from the original Millinocket Community Hospital. Cyr did some of the work when all the renovations were done there a few years ago (Millinocket Regional Hospital). He said the stainless steel came from shelving in the kitchen area at that time. It still had labels on the edge indicating what was kept on the shelf. So part of the new museum sign was made from a piece of Millinocket’s architectural history!

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén