“Hiking from a Comfortable Chair!” is what we are calling an event being held at the museum on Saturday, July 1, 1PM-3PM. Maine author Greg Westrich, author of the newly published guide book “Hiking Maine’s Baxter State Park will present a slide show and talk about some of the lesser known park trails. Please join us for all or part of the afternoon! No charge, donations to MHS welcome.
Lots of people are savers! They save every ticket, program and news article that has anything to do with their family, their team, their town or just anything that catches their fancy at the moment. It’s lucky for the museum that some folks do this. One example is Bobbie Allen. A few years ago she donated 30+scrapbooks of “Memories” to the museum. These included many photos and a whole lot more. Just recently she brought in a collection to be added to the “Memories” books. Some were added to the cataloged collection individually. Being a supporter of all the school musical events, she donated more than a dozen programs from plays and concerts. There were photos of the Katahdin Rangers with one showing them in the early days before they had their uniforms. The museum already had copies of this photo, but this one appears to be an original. There are photos of Junior Pro basketball and a 1991 tournament basketball program and a news article describing the “last hurrah” of the old iconic Stearns gym. Among older items in this collection are two GNP photos of three workers receiving watches at their retirement in 1959. They are D. Civiello, S. Fairley and P. Cyr. Another older item is a card presented to Helen Pound from Onawa Chapter, Eastern Star for outstanding service. Her service began in 1921. No date given for when it was presented.
Check out the new museum sign recently completed by MHS president David Cyr and others. The portion of the sign with the word “MUSEUM” was made from a sheet of stainless steel from the original Millinocket Community Hospital. Cyr did some of the work when all the renovations were done there a few years ago (Millinocket Regional Hospital). He said the stainless steel came from shelving in the kitchen area at that time. It still had labels on the edge indicating what was kept on the shelf. So part of the new museum sign was made from a piece of Millinocket’s architectural history!