Millinocket Historical Society

Preserving Millinocket’s heritage, one story at a time.

Month: October 2017

Incident in Little Italy, 1907

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum

Bits and pieces of our town’s history keep coming to light as people share some parts of their family stories. Recent columns told pieces of Clark and Galvin stories that were shared with the museum. This week, here’s an account of an incident occurring in Little Italy in 1907. A squabble between a young resident of Little Italy and three young men from the town side of the bridge led to the shooting and death of one of the town men. The cause of the argument is unclear, but the shooting took place in the “dooryard” of Peluso’s place. The shooter (the Little Italy resident) was charged with murder. However, after the shooting, he ran and apparently escaped into Canada.
This story is supported by documents shared with museum volunteers during a recent visit by a descendant of the shooter who asked that we treat the story with sensitivity as the facts seem fairly clear that it was more of an accident or self-defense rather than a brutal murder. Documents shared with the museum include a statement by Police Chief Fred Gates and statements by the other two town men. The shooter, indicted for murder, appeared in Millinocket Court in front of Judge George Stearns. As the shooter had fled, extradition papers were sent to Washington, D.C. where they were signed by President Roosevelt and returned to Bangor to be delivered to New Brunswick where the shooter was believed to be. Eventually the defendant was convicted of self-defense/manslaughter and spent fifteen months in Thomaston state prison. He did not return to Millinocket.
The descendant in this story visited the museum and Little Italy where she took several photos. She wished that there was some way to discover which home her relative had lived in with his wife and young son.
There are so many stories…we hope you continue to share with us. All the information, photos and copies of documents find a place in the research/genealogy room.

***The museum’s heritage cookbook will be ready soon. Watch for details!
***MHS is now registered as part of the Amazon Smile program. When you shop online at Amazon, go to smile.amazon.com and choose Millinocket Historical Society from the list and 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products will be sent to MHS. It is a small amount, but it all adds up.
***At Hannaford through October, purchase one of the specified blue and gold reusable bags and MHS will receive $1.00 for each one sold.

*** The 2018 calendars at the museum, Levasseurs, Save-a-Lot, Katahdin General Store, Rideout’s Market. Just $10.00 each. Add $4.00 SH each for mail orders.
*** Orders for the next group of pavers now being taken. Contact MHS for specifics. The pavers are $100.00 each (tax deductible) and may be in honor or in memory, for a school or team, business, organization, family, your own name or other wording.
*** Visit the museum store for local books, calendars, DVD (legends of Mt. Katahdin) and more or contact us for details including prices and shipping information.

*** Museum HOURS…. Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from noon – 3 PM. The new OPEN sign will be lit.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

Post cards, Abstract & Katahdin Rangers

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum

In any discussion of Millinocket’s history, the name Charles W. Mullen is sure to be mentioned. As a civil engineer and contractor for the B & A Railroad, he was familiar with the general area. Mullen is the one who made contact with Garret Schenck (paper mill expert). Together, they along with Hardy Ferguson and others set out to build the company that came to be known as the Great Northern Paper Company.
In recent weeks, a descendent of Charles Mullen has visited the museum and donated some items including several local area vintage post cards from the 1920’s and 1930’s. One has the printed caption Poowookamous Falls, West Branch. We assume that may be a misprint. Should it be Pockwockamus? Another item donated by Ronald Mullen is an original abstract (collection of documents) of the title to lots 1, 2 and 3, block 24 on Penobscot Avenue. These papers begin when Charles Mullen, Schenck and a man named Haskell gave title of those lots to GNP in 1899. The papers continue through the ownership by Charles Rush (Rush’s Hardware store) down to PE Ward in the 1950’s.
Bobbie Allen brought the museum two check writing machines and a collection of frames that came from other donors. Phyllis Gardner sent in a double size Ripogenus Dam post card with the caption 700 ft. long, 65 ft. high, 45 ft. wide, built1916. Jean Morse dropped off a large, original handmade flag used by the Katahdin Rangers and three photos of the group. Another donor sent in a St. Martin of Tours graduation ball dance card. It is from the class of 1964. Such cards were popular at dances years ago. High school students today would not know what a dance card was!

MHS is now registered as part of the Amazon Smile program. When you shop online at Amazon, go to Amazon.com:smile, choose Millinocket Historical Society from the list and 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products will be sent to MHS. It is a small amount, but it all adds up.
At Hannaford through October, purchase one of the specified blue and gold reusable bags and MHS will receive $1.00 for each one sold.

Information coming soon on the museum’s new heritage cookbook! Price, shipping information and availability will be announced. We can’t wait to see it (it’s at the printer’s now) and is expected in plenty of time for Christmas ordering.

*** Stearns and Schenck yearbooks for sale, $10.00 each, good condition!

*** The 2018 calendars at the museum, Levasseurs, Save-a-Lot, Katahdin General Store, Rideout’s Market. Just $10.00 each. Add $4.00 SH each for mail orders.
*** Orders for the next group of pavers now being taken. Contact MHS for specifics. The pavers are $100.00 each (tax deductible) and may be in honor or in memory, for a school or team, business, organization, family, your own name or other wording.
*** Visit the museum store for local books, calendars, DVD (legends of Mt. Katahdin) and more or contact us for details including prices and shipping information.
*** Museum HOURS…. Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from noon – 3 PM. The new OPEN sign will be lit.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

New Items, Smiles & Bags

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum
Fall has arrived, but new items for the collection are still arriving. We continue to add photos and documents to the genealogy collection so anyone doing family tree searches, maybe the museum has something for you. We are working to get the family names into our computer program to assist in the search. Recent additions are from the Poirier/Jandreau/Levasseur families (photos) and the Morgan/Carroll families (photos).
Sue Jandreau donated a B & A Railroad time table from 1958 and other railroad papers. Alice Miller brought in a series of penmanship books for teaching cursive writing. They were from the 1930’s from Aroostook Avenue School. The museum has several advertising booklets from some of the old sporting camps. A local lady (wants not to be identified) brought in one from Togue Pond Camps (c1925). The museum already had a newer version of the same booklet. Camping in the 1920’s- 1940’s was quite different than today.
A Sno-Land Dairy half pint bottle is now displayed with other local milk bottles. It joins bottles from Rush’s, Keeley’s, Mulroney’s, Boddy’s, Sno-Land plus Grants and Footman’s dairies. Looking for a bottle from Jones’s Dairy! The half pint bottle was brought in by PI Perry along with a folding Eastman Kodak Brownie camera. Perry also gave the museum framed photos of the GNP crews of paper machines #8 and #5 rebuilds (1926 & 1954).
MHS is now registered as part of the Amazon Smile program. When you go online to shop at Amazon, go to Amazon.com:smile, choose Millinocket Historical Society from the list and 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products will be sent to MHS. It is a small amount, but it all adds up.
Hannaford has again chosen MHS for its Hannaford Helps program. Purchase one of the specified blue and gold reusable bags during October and MHS will receive $1.00 for each bag sold.
This time of year, more hikers and hiker’s families stop by the museum. On the Saturday of the Trails End Festival, we saw folks from Minnesota, New Hampshire and Virginia. We directed hikers to local eateries and lodging places and one of our volunteers gave a young couple a ride to McDonald’s and then back to their camping spot at Abol Campground!
Information coming soon on the museum’s new heritage cookbook! Price, shipping information and availability will be announced. We can’t wait to see it (it’s at the printer’s now) and is expected in plenty of time for Christmas ordering.

*** Stearns and Schenck yearbooks for sale, $10.00 each, good condition!

*** The 2018 calendars at the museum, Levasseurs, Save-a-Lot, Katahdin General Store, Rideout’s Market. Just $10.00 each. Add $4.00 SH each for mail orders.
*** Orders for the next group of pavers now being taken. Contact MHS for specifics. The pavers are $100.00 each (tax deductible) and may be in honor or in memory, for a school or team, business, organization, family, your own name or other wording.
*** Visit the museum store for local books, calendars, DVD (legends of Mt. Katahdin) and more or contact us for details including prices and shipping information.
*** Museum HOURS…. Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from noon – 3 PM. The new OPEN sign will be lit.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén