Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum

In any discussion of Millinocket’s history, the name Charles W. Mullen is sure to be mentioned. As a civil engineer and contractor for the B & A Railroad, he was familiar with the general area. Mullen is the one who made contact with Garret Schenck (paper mill expert). Together, they along with Hardy Ferguson and others set out to build the company that came to be known as the Great Northern Paper Company.
In recent weeks, a descendent of Charles Mullen has visited the museum and donated some items including several local area vintage post cards from the 1920’s and 1930’s. One has the printed caption Poowookamous Falls, West Branch. We assume that may be a misprint. Should it be Pockwockamus? Another item donated by Ronald Mullen is an original abstract (collection of documents) of the title to lots 1, 2 and 3, block 24 on Penobscot Avenue. These papers begin when Charles Mullen, Schenck and a man named Haskell gave title of those lots to GNP in 1899. The papers continue through the ownership by Charles Rush (Rush’s Hardware store) down to PE Ward in the 1950’s.
Bobbie Allen brought the museum two check writing machines and a collection of frames that came from other donors. Phyllis Gardner sent in a double size Ripogenus Dam post card with the caption 700 ft. long, 65 ft. high, 45 ft. wide, built1916. Jean Morse dropped off a large, original handmade flag used by the Katahdin Rangers and three photos of the group. Another donor sent in a St. Martin of Tours graduation ball dance card. It is from the class of 1964. Such cards were popular at dances years ago. High school students today would not know what a dance card was!

MHS is now registered as part of the Amazon Smile program. When you shop online at Amazon, go to Amazon.com:smile, choose Millinocket Historical Society from the list and 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products will be sent to MHS. It is a small amount, but it all adds up.
At Hannaford through October, purchase one of the specified blue and gold reusable bags and MHS will receive $1.00 for each one sold.

Information coming soon on the museum’s new heritage cookbook! Price, shipping information and availability will be announced. We can’t wait to see it (it’s at the printer’s now) and is expected in plenty of time for Christmas ordering.

*** Stearns and Schenck yearbooks for sale, $10.00 each, good condition!

*** The 2018 calendars at the museum, Levasseurs, Save-a-Lot, Katahdin General Store, Rideout’s Market. Just $10.00 each. Add $4.00 SH each for mail orders.
*** Orders for the next group of pavers now being taken. Contact MHS for specifics. The pavers are $100.00 each (tax deductible) and may be in honor or in memory, for a school or team, business, organization, family, your own name or other wording.
*** Visit the museum store for local books, calendars, DVD (legends of Mt. Katahdin) and more or contact us for details including prices and shipping information.
*** Museum HOURS…. Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from noon – 3 PM. The new OPEN sign will be lit.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.