Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum
It is time to once again catch up on the new items that have been donated to the museum. Lynn Walsh, who was a member of the Katahdin Rangers and took part in several of the drum corps trips, brought in a large collection of memorabilia. It included photos and many news articles. Photos of the Katahdin Rangers, Pink Panthers (in Washington DC), Stearns High School band (in Washington, DC) and town band are currently displayed at the museum.
Anne Erickson donated several books for the museum’s research room. We are continuing to add books by local authors and books about the local area. Anne gave The Allagash by Lew Dietz, Christmas Always, “In the Shadow of Katahdin,” by Clara Gordon Bartlett and The Maine Land by Marion Bradshaw. The research room is getting more use each year. Tim and Belinda Smyth visited the museum and brought advertising items from the former Belinda’ s Bakery and a unique old map. The map of northern Maine, undated, appears to be very early for this area. There is no Millinocket, and Medway is labeled as Nicatou. It appears to be an original map on linen.
The museum has quite a few things to eventually be placed in a barber shop display. Paul Noyes barber chair, shaving items, a sign, a photo of Mt. Katahdin that once was displayed in Walter Trott’s barber shop and more. Now we can add one of the fixtures of old time barber shops…a spittoon. A small brass one was just donated by Al Legassie.
A Singer sewing machine, circa 1921, is now at the museum. Donated by Ramona Cesare, this treadle machine came complete with vintage spools of thread and other sewing notions in the drawers. This sewing machine once belonged to the Nichols family. There have been many, many organizations in Millinocket through the years. Recently added to the collection is a large framed Master Mason certificate dated 1931. The name on the certificate is Ivan Alonzo Buck. Also with the certificate is a photo we assume is Buck, but it has not been confirmed. The certificate and photo were donated by Leo Bulley along with a US Air Force hat.
There will be a craft fair at the American Legion Hall on December 2 from 9AM to 3PM. The Millinocket Historical Society will have a table there with calendars, cookbooks, Laverty books, the Millinocket book and more. Please stop by!
*** A Little Taste of History, a new cookbook featuring recipes from many Millinocket pioneer families and their descendants (wives of mill employees, businessmen, school and town employees and more. Includes some photos and personal notes. 200 pages. Each cookbook is $15.00 (mail orders add $5.00 SH each book). At the museum, Memories of Maine Gallery, Steel Magnolias, Katahdin General & by mail.
***2018 Calendar with vintage photos – don’t forget to get one before the new year. Just $10.00 (by mail add $4.00SH).
*** Museum HOURS…. Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from noon – 3 PM. The new OPEN sign will be lit.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.