Join us this week, Thursday, September 20, 1-3 PM to hear a talk by several local residents sharing stories of Millinocket’s Little Italy. Please plan to join us for a few minutes or for the whole session!
Visitors from afar are amazed to learn that the building of the mill and soon after, the town, was commenced before there were any real method of getting here. The Bangor and Aroostook Railroad passed through the area, although at some distance from the proposed mill site. The only other access was by water (West Branch) or via the old Sourdnahunk tote road. It wasn’t until 1901 that a road was petitioned by the Penobscot County Commissioners for a road to connect to Medway and Mattawamkeag. Central Street would be extended by building a steel bridge with stone abutments over Millinocket Stream. The museum has a display a large picture showing this bridge (c1911).
Getting all the people involved in building the mill to the site wasn’t easy. Another early GNP photo at the museum shows the 1899 version of Katahdin Avenue complete with tree stumps. This first “street” was the way to get people, building materials and other goods from the railroad into town until a railroad station was added and a spur line constructed to the mill site. People came from all parts of the world as this was where there was work for many.
A visitor to the museum asked to look at timelines showing major events in the town’s history. One is in the booklet printed for Millinocket’s 100th birthday. This has both highlights of the mill as well as town events. Dorothy Laverty’s 1973 published history also has a timeline. Both books are available at the museum. We have also collected a number of other timelines that have been printed in various sources throughout the years. These are compiled in a binder for easy access.
MHS will have a table at the craft fair at the American Legion, Saturday, October 20. Join us there!
***Now available, copies of Greg Westrich’s guidebook, Hiking in Baxter State Park ($20.00 at the museum). It describes numerous park trails.
*** Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps by Bill Geller is available at the museum. Cost is $30.00. By mail add $5 SH. The new 2019 “Sports for All Ages” themed calendars are available at the museum, Save-a-Lot, Steel Magnolias, Katahdin General Store, Trailside Country Store and Spoiled Hair Salon, $10.00 each (by mail add $4.00 SH).
***Books by local authors, sets of GNP/Bowater drinking glasses & some matted 8” x 10” and 5” x 7” photos for sale. We have SHS and St. Martin’s yearbooks for sale ($10.00 each).
*** A Little Taste of History, recipes from Millinocket pioneer families and their descendants. 200 pages. $15.00 (mail orders $5.00 SH each). At the museum, Memories of Maine Gallery, Steel Magnolias, Katahdin General, Gracie’s Aunt’s Emporium, Trailside Country Store & by mail.
*** Engraved pavers are $100.00 each. Up to 3 lines, 15 letters, symbols, spaces max per line. Contact museum for form or more details.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.