2018 is almost at an end! So far, the museum has had a donation of one or more items from eighty-nine different individuals or sources. Sally Stewart’s donation included a vintage post card showing the original Baptist Church and Parsonage. This “souvenir card” as they were called in times past, is new to the museum’s collection. A GNP store order card and other post cards were also donated. Dan Thobodeau gave DVD’s made by his film company. Included were the fictionalized story of the “The White Lady” and a great view of the mill and water tour called “Millinocket Stream Boat Tour” with Bubba Davis.
The Millinocket Fire Department was originally housed in a large building on Penobscot Avenue (present site of the Millinocket Municipal Building). The building was completed by 1905 and housed a hose wagon, ladder wagon and two teams of horses. The wagon could be converted to sleds for winter use. Recently added to the museum’s collection is a clock from that fire station. Donated by Susan Rush, the Seth Thomas clock is 18” x18” and housed in a dark wooden box frame. The clock requires winding and unfortunately has no key. According to MFD historian Tom Picard, this clock was probably a clock located somewhere within the first fire station, but was not part of the alarm system.
Among the MFD artifacts in the museum collection are the Gamewell fire alarm system and an “all out” bell. The Gamewell, housed at the station, was connected to alarm boxes placed around town. Fred Gates was fire chief when this system was first used. The “all out” bell on display was used by a later fire chief, Chris Clark, and rung by the chief on the way back to the station after a fire to signal the fire was out. It is a hand bell, about seven inches high. Several photos of the first fire station are available for viewing at the museum. One panoramic photo on display shows the men, two horse-drawn fire wagons and the departments first motorized fire truck. The photo was taken in the park by AF Orr, photographer, on Sept. 4, 1916. Labor Day celebrations were big events in the early days and that occasion shows the Dover & Foxcroft band in the photo with the Millinocket firefighters, wagons, horses and motorized fire truck.
Reminder – the museum is open all winter, regular days and hours, weather permitting.
***Available at the museum store………
1. “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” by Bill Geller – $30.00 ($5.00 each SH);
2. “Tales of Little Italy” DVD, $15.00 ($2.50 each SH)
3. Taste of History cookbooks – $15.00 ($5.00 each SH on mail orders);
4. “Spirits of Katahdin” DVD – $10.00 ($2.50 each SH);
5. 2019 MHS Calendars, “Sports for All Ages”- $10.00 ($5.00 each SH) (available at museum, Save-a-Lot, Steel Magnolias and Spoiled Hair Salon;
6. “Hiking in Baxter State Park” by Greg Westrich – $20.00 ($5.00 SH);
7. Engraved pavers, $100.00 each, contact MHS for details and form;
8. …plus a variety of used books by local authors, vintage post cards and more!
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.