We get questions about the log stamps on display in the logging/river drive room. Stories from museum visitors plus some research on these tools revealed information about these tools. Log stamps, sometimes called log hammers, are a vintage logging tool used across the U.S. to mark ownership of a particular log. The marks were placed on one end of the log and were used similar to the brands placed on cattle in the old west. In some places in this country, these identifying marks were registered with the state. Sometimes the marks were cut with an ax rather than stamped with the hammer-like tool.
The typical log stamp was made of cast iron (three to eight pounds) with a design on it. Like branding irons, the marks on log stamps were cast backwards so that the design can be read properly when struck into the wood. The wooden handles these tools varied in length.
On display at the museum are several of the stamps, all double ended. Two have the letters GN. One has a short handle and the other a long handle. Another has LAM and one has P. Two other stamps have no recognizable letters, rather the end is roundish with notches cut into it. The majority of these are from the Dana W. Brown collection. On display are two sections of a log, one having the GN imprint and one with LAD. The LAD “tree cookie” came out of Dolby Pond. An interesting ledger from the early 192-1904 tracks the number of pieces of wood passing through Stone Dam on individual days. These are separated by the individual log marks and some pages indicate that as many as twenty different log marks were recorded on any given day.
The museum was given a number of Hannaford cookbooks (2018) to use a fundraiser. We have decided to give them out while they last to anyone who stops in at the museum and gives a $2 or more donation!
Added to the books at the museum store are several photocopies of the 1903 report filed by the Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics for the State of Maine. An earlier column listed the many businesses that were in town in 1903. Much of the report is about the development and growth of GNP. Topics mentioned include: the Penobscot, water power at Millinocket, the canal, many details on the mill and workforce plus interesting facts about the growing town. This booklet is being sold at $7.00 each.
***Available at the museum store………
1. “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” by Bill Geller – $30.00 ($5.00 each SH);
2. “Tales of Little Italy” DVD, $15.00 ($2.50 each SH)
3. “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00 ($5.00 each SH on mail orders);
4. “Spirits of Katahdin” DVD – $10.00 ($2.50 each SH);
5. 2019 MHS Calendars, “Sports for All Ages”- $10.00 ($5.00 each SH);
6. Engraved pavers, $100.00 each, contact MHS for details and form; please order by mid-May for this year’s placement.
*** Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, noon – 3PM.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.