An earlier column about the old days of baseball in Millinocket brought a new question and also some information about an early Millinocket family. Billy Jones played for the Millinocket Baseball Club in the early 1900’s and briefly for semi-pro and Boston teams. We learned that Billy Jones and his brother had an insurance agency called Jones Brothers so we searched for more information on this. Jones Brothers Insurance Agents was a partnership between William (Billy) Jones and his brother Garfield Jones. This insurance business had advertisements in Stearns HS yearbooks from 1926 through 1938. We also found a listing for a Jones Brothers Grocery store printed in a Boston Herald in 1917. The address given was 3 Central Street. Other information about the two brothers’ business ventures was obtained from the Garfield Jones obituary. It states they had a fruit and confectionary business for fifteen years. Confectionary is an old term for a business selling candy and sweets. When they sold that, they ran a grocery business, a moving picture theater and a billiard hall until 1922 when they sold those businesses to enter the real estate and insurance field.
The Jones question came via Facebook from a gentleman in Ontario researching Canadian born major league baseball players who played between 1900 and 1919. A book about these men may result. Billy Jones was from New Brunswick.
Join us at the museum on August 15 from 1PM – 2PM for a book signing by author Bradford Edwards. His book Tanglefoot is a work of historical fiction set in the Chesuncook Village, Chesuncook Lake area in the 1920’s. The characters are involved with making moonshine, carrying goods and men to the village and lumber camps and more. Two more novels are expected to follow in this Suncooker series. Edwards will have copies of the book available for purchase at the museum on the 15th. The museum currently has two of these books for sale and more will be available at and after the book signing.
Also available at the museum is a book titled Logging Towboats and Boom Jumpers by Roger Moody. Moody spoke recently at the library and visited the museum. The book tells the story of OA Harkness and his influence on the logging industry.
*** New 2020 calendars available! The theme “Beyond the Mill” was chosen to highlight the wide reach of the Great Northern Paper Company. Photos/trivia from early 1900’s to more recent times featured. At the museum, Save-a-Lot, Gracie’s Aunt’s Emporium, Steel Magnolias, and Katahdin True Value. $10.00 each, by mail add $5.00 SH.
*** At the Museum Store:
1. “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” by Bill Geller – $30.00 ($5.00 each SH);
2. Booklet -1903 Report on Millinocket & mill – interesting statistics – $7.00 at museum;
3. Millinocket by David Duplisea – $20.00 ($5.00 SH);
4. “Tales of Little Italy” DVD, $15.00 ($2.50 each SH);
5. “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00 ($5.00 each SH on mail orders);
6. “Spirits of Katahdin” DVD – $10.00 ($2.50 each SH);
7. Engraved pavers, $100.00 each, contact MHS for details and form.
*** Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, noon – 3PM.
*** Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.