Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum
Happy New Year! Hope to see you at the Millinocket Historical Society museum during 2020! The museum is open all winter (excepting really stormy days) so drop in and check out the exhibits. We will be making a few changes, swapping out some of the photos and bringing out some of the interesting artifacts that have not been on display as yet.
We are getting closer to starting work again on the second floor display area. Grant funding was received earlier in 2019 for that, but have been met with some delays due to “red tape” approvals needed. Once work commences, grants will be sought for completing handicapped accessibility to the new display area and to finish exterior improvements (roof, siding, etc.). We are also happy to announce that we have been awarded a Gloria C. MacKenzie grant to update our museum computer and software (Past Perfect 5). The grant will also allow us to purchase a new scanner and photo printer.
We just received reprints (softcover) of the Dorothy Bowler Laverty book Millinocket, Magic City of Maine’s Wilderness. The museum has had copies of this book (the only history of the town written to date) for several years, but were nearly sold out. The reprints are great and are available at $25.00 each (plus $5.00 SH). Most local families had a copy of the original book, but through the years, the younger generations have come seeking a copy and newcomers to the area find the book is a great way to learn about their new community’s history thru the 1970’s. Anyone out there want to take on the writing of the sequel? The museum has a great many photographs that could be used.
Research questions continue to arise from visitors, via emails and letters. We are looking for information on the Rainbow Lake area and Rainbow Lake Camps through the years. The museum has some old brochures on the camps and have looked through reference books in the collection. Contact MHS if you can help!
An earlier column mentioned an inquiry about an early GNP fire (1901) and a fire at the GNP Engineer’s House. With information from the inquiry, three Maine Memory Network photos online and the help of one of our MHS members, a clearer picture has emerged. The Engineer’s House was on the mill site, and shows in many of the early photographs (from a different angle and appearing a bit different than in the Maine Memory Network photo). That building was the engineer’s workplace until some unknown date. At some point engineers were located at the old Oxford Street School (school closed 1943) and then moved to the new Engineering and Research Building which opened 1962.
In the Museum Store!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** 2020 Calendars – Beyond the Mill ($10)
*** DVD’s from both Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 are available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books available: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
***Museum open Thurs., Fri., Sat. Noon – 3PM, weather permitting.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.