Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum
The Barber’s Journal, August, 1910, has a section titled Hairdressing Department. In this issue is an article on establishing a hairdresser’s shop. It states one must have a natural gift for shampooing, hairdressing and manicuring and that even then one must take a course at a hair parlor or go to a good hairdresser and get her to instruct you. Other suggestions include developing a list of private patrons by going house to house, do not manicure male customers and do not become the village gossip!
Any ladies remember the days of having a permanent wave while sitting under a contraption with octopus type tentacles with heated curlers on the ends? The museum does not have one of these in the collection, but it does have a few hairdresser items. These include older curling irons and various curlers. The description with one from c1927 says a lady only needed one of these. She would wind the hair around a curler, secure the hair with a bobby pin, then remove the curler and proceed to the next curl. The largest hairdresser’s item in the collection is a floor model hair dryer from the 1930’s said to be from Angie’s Beauty Salon. The salon was above Chapman’s Store (later Newberry’s). These items plus a framed certificate from the Wilfred Academy of Hair & Beauty Culture awarded to Josephine Pelletier in 1926 will be part of the future Hairdresser/Barber display planned for the museum.
The museum would like to add exterior and interior photos of Millinocket’s former barber shops and hair salons as well as photos of the proprietors of these establishments. Dates that these establishments were in business is helpful also. Can you help?
Another paragraph for hairdressers from the journal mentioned above states that it is best to have customers supply their own combs and brushes and cautions patrons against trying on hats or leaning their head against car seats and other cushions on public conveyances.
Reminder, we are still taking paver orders for summer placement. Contact museum for information and form. Books and other items for sale in the museum store are available. Contact me for mail orders or a “social distance” porch sale. Hopefully the museum will be open for visitors soon!
In the Museum Store!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** 2020 Calendars, a few left – Beyond the Mill ($10)
*** DVD’s from both Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 are available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books available: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 for history & $10 for architecture; “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.