Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
Coincidence is defined as a “remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.” The coincidence that happened at the museum recently concerned an item donation and a reorganization project that unexpectedly coincided.
Dr. Blum (mill medical director for several years) visited the museum and donated an exam chair and accessories, a photo showing himself and another man next to #11, several forms/other papers from the mill’s first aid room and a metal sign indicating the mill manager’s office and production superintendent’s office.
The exam chair from the first aid room is metal, white and has a removable arm rest, a removable basin holder and place for a removable head rest (missing). With the chair are two white enamel containers and a stainless steel basin (original would have been white enamel). A few days later, Mrs. Blum dropped off a photo showing Dr. Ernest Young (mill doctor), Edward Healey (medical assistant) and an unidentified registered nurse in the mill’s first aid room and in the photo is the white metal exam chair! At first look, this chair was thought to be from the 1940’s or 50’s. Also seen in the photo are a white enamel sink and various white enamel wheeled carts, containers etc. This photo has to be 1978 or prior as Dr. Young died in 1978. (The museum’s Facebook page has a photo of the nurse…please help us identify her!)
The coincidence occurred when Leola (MHS Assistant Curator/Research & Genealogy volunteer) was sorting the museum’s collection of The Northern magazine. There on one page was a story titled “First Aid Rooms-Millinocket Plant.” This issue is #3, volume 2, June, 1922! It begins, “What was formerly known as the Old Pipe Shop at Millinocket plant of the Great Northern Paper Company has recently acquired the new dignity of a young hospital. This hospital, all modern-equipped, consists of a Ward (in which there are beds), a Surgery, a First Aid Room, Doctor’s Office, Waiting Room, Corridors and Bath. The First Aid, Surgery and Bath rooms are finished in white enamel; the Ward in buff, (all the windows in the Ward being hung with attractive two-tone curtains); the Waiting Room and Corridors are finished in gray.”
There are three photos (a bit grainy) accompanying the story and the exact exam chair (or a later one that looks just like the one donated by Dr. Blum) is seen in one of the photos. Other furnishings in the photos (including the sink) appear to be the same as in the photo with Dr. Young. So we are saying that the date on the exam chair is 1922, not the 1940’s or 50’s! More from the story next week!
In the Museum Store!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s from both Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 are available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books available: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 for history & $10 for architecture; “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.