Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
In March of 1901, the town of Millinocket was incorporated. Now, nearly 120 years later, the new 2021 Millinocket Historical Society calendar shows a variety of photos from those 120 years. The calendar is all about “changes” and begins with a modern cover photo of the present downtown area. It is a drone photo used with permission of local photographer Josh Linscott. The calendar then depicts collages of photos from the different areas of town including Shack Hill and Little Italy. These two early “residential areas” of Millinocket are represented by three photos each. One is from an early cyanotype (an early photographic process resulting in a blue photo) from the Laverty Collection.
Other calendar pages depict scenes from various neighborhoods. The Highland Avenue/Maine Avenue area shows some of the elaborate homes of the early downtown Millinocket that earned the nickname Society Hill or Snob Hill. Different styles of homes are represented on the pages for The Park Area and in the 1940’s after WWII Medway Road (Eastland Avenue) and in the 1950’s and 1960’s Hillcrest Development. (Note: Looking for early photos of Tin Can Alley at the mill end of Aroostook Avenue. Contact us if you have one!
Other neighborhoods are represented by photos of some of the businesses through the years. Aroostook Avenue (end toward Central Street grew from open spaces and an ice skating area to have a number of garages and hardware stores. One of the calendar pages shows some of these, all gone now. Outer Central street has the car dealerships that sprouted “on the hill” after the street was extended that way.
We did not forget to include: Across the Tracks (piles of logs on the Golden Road, Boddy’s Dairy milk wagon), Outer Bates Street (early KG with totem pole sign and the B & A station with horse-drawn buggies waiting to collect passengers) and The Pines/Iron Bridge Road with Rush’s Sawmill and the old swimming hole. The calendar covers a wide range to photos through the years. Stop in at the museum to get yours, just $12.00. Available by mail $12.00 each plus $5 each SH. Great gifts! Help support the museum…progress is continuing on the second floor display area!
Reminder, the museum is open and waiting for you to visit (social distancing and masks, please)!
In the Museum Store!
*** 2021 Calendars are here! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s from both Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 are available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books available: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 for history & $10 for architecture; “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.