Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
When did Fuller Furniture begin business in Millinocket? This is an example of a question posed recently to the museum and this week I write about this and several other questions that have arisen recently.
Fuller Furniture was in business early on Penobscot Avenue (site later of JJ Newberry) and started by Charles Fuller. Fuller genealogy at the museum has Charles Fuller’s occupation as “store owner, Fuller Furniture Co., 1910-1920” and son Almon as “clerk, furniture store” in 1930. In 1922 the store was purchased by Gerald Comstock and the name stayed the same. Later the business moved to the corner of Penobscot Avenue and Central St. where it remained until recent years. The building now houses an art gallery.
A small tintype donated by Dan Morrison shows Edwin Adams as a child. His name is written on the back of the paper frame. The museum already had an old photo labeled as the Edwin Adams house, 420 Katahdin Avenue. The question arose, “Is that house still standing?” A ride down Katahdin Avenue shows no 420 (two houses in the right area show no numbers) and one does have some of the photo’s features, a front bay window, correct roof line and two windows on second floor. The overall footprint is smaller today, but it could be the house.
Also donated by Morrison were a pair of early eyeglasses with wire earpieces. They are in a black case with Charles K. Sleight, Optometrist, Millinocket, Maine embossed on the case. The eyeglasses appear to be from the 1920’s or earlier. A tattered copy of The Merchant’s Bulletin (Dec. 1925) has an ad for this service. It was located opposite the fire station, upstairs. Sleight was an optometrist and optician and examined eyes and fitted glasses.
The museum also received a punch card from Munson’s Lunch. It was sold to Philys Barr on 3/22/1947. In five and ten cent increments, when fully punched, the card entitled the owner to $3.30 in lunch items for a cost of only $3.00. The states “no discount unless paid in advance.”
We are searching for photos of the B & A Millinocket roundhouse (another question posed by a visitor) as well as information/photos on any of the above topics. Thanks!
In the Museum Store!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.