Preserving Millinocket’s heritage, one story at a time.

Month: November 2020

Photo ID and Morgan Block

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

A huge parade was held in town in 1951 as part of Millinocket’s 50th birthday celebration. Crowell, a local photographer, took many photos and many families selected numerous of these photos which were placed in black photo albums. The museum has several of them and we noticed that although most have the same photos of floats and such from the parade, each album has a few that are unique to that album. There is no identification on the photos. One recently caught out attention. It shows a rather elaborate hearse pulled by one horse. The driver is well-dressed and wearing a top hat. If you know which funeral parlor this hearse represented and the name of the driver, please contact the museum! This photo has caused us to want to know more of the history of the undertakers and funeral parlors in town. Contact us with information…thank you!
The following is taken from information provided by Ruth Morgan a several years ago. Charles Morgan decided to become an undertaker like his brother Roy. He went to Boston, took an embalming course and then returned to Millinocket. He worked as an assistant for Bragdon’s Funeral Home for a time and then decided to go into business for himself. He built an addition on his State Street home and started his business. He later decided to acquire a lot on Penobscot Ave. and build a cement block building to house his business. While working at the mill, he made a wooden block form that could be used to make several blocks at a time. After they were “cured” he could make more. He thus made all the blocks for his building. It was large enough for his family to live on the second floor. The embalming and casket display was on the first floor and there was a garage underneath for his hearse and the family car (a sedan). The State Street house was sold and the Morgan family moved to Penobscot Avenue. Today, Charles Morgan’s building is the location of Tanous and Snow Law Office.
It is interesting to note that Morgan was not the only one to make these cement blocks as there are several buildings in the older areas of town where these blocks can still be seen. More to this story next week!

In the Museum Store! Start Thinking Christmas Shopping!!!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

2020 Calendar/New Items

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

Reminder…get your MHS 2021 calendar soon! Christmas and the new year will be here before we know it! The calendar has collages of photos from the different areas of town including Shack Hill and Little Italy. There are photos from Society Hill, the park area, Medway Road/Eastland Avenue (built up after WWII) and in the 1950’s and 1960’s Hillcrest Development. Other town areas are represented by photos of some of the businesses through the years including Aroostook Avenue with some of its garages and hardware stores. Outer Central Street has the car dealerships that sprouted “on the hill” after the street was extended that way. We did not forget to include the areas of “across the tracks,” outer Bates Street and The Pines/Iron Bridge Road with Rush’s Sawmill and the old swimming hole. The calendar covers a wide range to photos through the years plus a recent great aerial photo by Josh Linscott on the cover. Stop in at the museum to get yours, just $12.00. Available by mail $12.00 each plus $5 each SH. Great gifts! Help support the museum!
Time to catch up with the new items donated in the last few weeks. Sandy Haynes brought in a Boddy’s Dairy ¼ pint clear glass milk/cream bottle and a photo of a horse-drawn milk delivery wagon filled with milk cans. There was also a scrapbook of SHS basketball (1930’s), senior photos from the 1940’s, yearbooks and out-of-print books by local authors. Gene Nice brought in a collection of Northern Knights photos from various competitions and parades. Pat Bouchard gave a Masonic certificate dated 1926 of George Alward. The many give-a-ways local businesses used to advertise are interesting. Sharon Machia brought in a small plastic coin bank from the Millinocket Trust Company. It has a lock and key and looks similar to a small bird feeder! She also gave an ash tray advertising DiNardo’s Store and a very small tape measure from Fred Hatt, Plumbing and Heating. Keep the advertisements from local businesses coming…they will make a great display! We’ve also added a genealogy book on French- Canadians and History of Madawaska (Sally Bouchard) and on Rideouts in America (Lenny Berry).

In the Museum Store! Start Thinking Christmas Shopping!!!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

The Millinocket Journal/Hume Family

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

A local newspaper called The Millinocket Journal was started about 1939 by the Joseph Tucker family and printed through the years in small, medium and large formats. The Tuckers printed the paper from a bungalow on Eastland Avenue that became known as Journal Place.
About 1954, the Hume family became publishers of the paper. John David Hume visited the museum recently and shared some interesting information. His grandfather Hume was already in Millinocket and was GNP mill superintendent. Bob and Rosemarie Hume and children came to town and moved into the house off Eastland Avenue where the Tuckers had published the paper. Bob went to work at the mill. In the basement of the house was the mimeograph machine, wax stencils and other equipment the Tuckers had used. Rosemarie, a journalism graduate, took on the task of putting out a newspaper. The children did various jobs to help out. The newspaper listed Robert Hume as publisher and Rosemarie as editor. About 1967, the switch was made to an off-set printing press which allowed for more photographs. The Hume family published the paper until sometime in 1967. During those years, the name on the masthead was The Millinocket Journal and for a time, Millinocket Journal (without the word the).
Now another topic – a handwritten comment in a scrapbook compiled by a young female student at Stearns HS in 1935. (Stop in the museum if you wish to see the scrapbook and learn the girl’s name). This scrapbook has news articles and scorecards from many of the SHS basketball games,1935-1936. Most of the news articles have a handwritten comment, many of which are quite lengthy. In February, the article states: Nearly a 100 students were absent from school to see the game in Bangor even under the threat they would have to stay after school an hour each day for three days to make up the lost time. The young lady’s written comment (beautiful cursive penmanship) says: The funny part of it is that Porter (principal) is only making us stay to make up the work we missed! He’s a good scout after all. Anyway it would have been worth staying four weeks in the library until 4:30. The game was that good!!! And how!

In the Museum Store! Start Thinking Christmas Shopping!!!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

VFW

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War II. Congress passed a resolution in 1926 for an annual observance and Nov. 11 became a national holiday in 1938. It is a day to honor all American veterans living or dead.
More than 100 from Millinocket served in the armed forces in WWI. Some of these veterans formed American Legion Post #80 and named it for Donald V. Henry, Millinocket’s first casualty of the war. Dr. Bryant returned safely from overseas and became the post’s first commander. Mrs. Robert Hume, an army nurse, was the next commander and was the first woman to hold this office.
World War II saw over 1000 Millinocket men and women go overseas in service to our country. After returning home, some of these overseas veterans formed a Veteran’s of Foreign Wars post. It was named for Francis E. Elliott, Millinocket’s first casualty of WWII.
The museum has a growing collection of military memorabilia including uniforms, medals, photos and more. Earlier this year, MHS received a number of items from the now closed local VFW. The large photo of Francis E. Elliott that was prominently displayed at the post is now in the museum’s military room along with one of his white U.S. Navy uniforms (no hat). Also received were several VFW hats, a few photos, some medals and some uniform pieces. Included was a WWI uniform with the laces on the pant legs and the leg wraps (called puttees). The museum collection has several WWII uniforms, but until now, none from WWI. This will be displayed soon. If anyone knows who gave this uniform to the VFW or any of the other items now at the museum, contact us.
The local VFW post was located in the former Oxford St. School building. It was deeded to them by the town in 1943. Space in the building was rented to GNP for a time until VFW enrollment grew and a women’s auxiliary was formed. The American Legion started in a tarred paper shack near the stream, then met in a small brick building on Penobscot Ave. In 1959, the Legion moved to a new building on outer Central Street.

In the Museum Store! Start Thinking Christmas shopping!!!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more). peacetime
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.