Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War II. Congress passed a resolution in 1926 for an annual observance and Nov. 11 became a national holiday in 1938. It is a day to honor all American veterans living or dead.
More than 100 from Millinocket served in the armed forces in WWI. Some of these veterans formed American Legion Post #80 and named it for Donald V. Henry, Millinocket’s first casualty of the war. Dr. Bryant returned safely from overseas and became the post’s first commander. Mrs. Robert Hume, an army nurse, was the next commander and was the first woman to hold this office.
World War II saw over 1000 Millinocket men and women go overseas in service to our country. After returning home, some of these overseas veterans formed a Veteran’s of Foreign Wars post. It was named for Francis E. Elliott, Millinocket’s first casualty of WWII.
The museum has a growing collection of military memorabilia including uniforms, medals, photos and more. Earlier this year, MHS received a number of items from the now closed local VFW. The large photo of Francis E. Elliott that was prominently displayed at the post is now in the museum’s military room along with one of his white U.S. Navy uniforms (no hat). Also received were several VFW hats, a few photos, some medals and some uniform pieces. Included was a WWI uniform with the laces on the pant legs and the leg wraps (called puttees). The museum collection has several WWII uniforms, but until now, none from WWI. This will be displayed soon. If anyone knows who gave this uniform to the VFW or any of the other items now at the museum, contact us.
The local VFW post was located in the former Oxford St. School building. It was deeded to them by the town in 1943. Space in the building was rented to GNP for a time until VFW enrollment grew and a women’s auxiliary was formed. The American Legion started in a tarred paper shack near the stream, then met in a small brick building on Penobscot Ave. In 1959, the Legion moved to a new building on outer Central Street.
In the Museum Store! Start Thinking Christmas shopping!!!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more). peacetime
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.