Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
A local newspaper called The Millinocket Journal was started about 1939 by the Joseph Tucker family and printed through the years in small, medium and large formats. The Tuckers printed the paper from a bungalow on Eastland Avenue that became known as Journal Place.
About 1954, the Hume family became publishers of the paper. John David Hume visited the museum recently and shared some interesting information. His grandfather Hume was already in Millinocket and was GNP mill superintendent. Bob and Rosemarie Hume and children came to town and moved into the house off Eastland Avenue where the Tuckers had published the paper. Bob went to work at the mill. In the basement of the house was the mimeograph machine, wax stencils and other equipment the Tuckers had used. Rosemarie, a journalism graduate, took on the task of putting out a newspaper. The children did various jobs to help out. The newspaper listed Robert Hume as publisher and Rosemarie as editor. About 1967, the switch was made to an off-set printing press which allowed for more photographs. The Hume family published the paper until sometime in 1967. During those years, the name on the masthead was The Millinocket Journal and for a time, Millinocket Journal (without the word the).
Now another topic – a handwritten comment in a scrapbook compiled by a young female student at Stearns HS in 1935. (Stop in the museum if you wish to see the scrapbook and learn the girl’s name). This scrapbook has news articles and scorecards from many of the SHS basketball games,1935-1936. Most of the news articles have a handwritten comment, many of which are quite lengthy. In February, the article states: Nearly a 100 students were absent from school to see the game in Bangor even under the threat they would have to stay after school an hour each day for three days to make up the lost time. The young lady’s written comment (beautiful cursive penmanship) says: The funny part of it is that Porter (principal) is only making us stay to make up the work we missed! He’s a good scout after all. Anyway it would have been worth staying four weeks in the library until 4:30. The game was that good!!! And how!
In the Museum Store! Start Thinking Christmas Shopping!!!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.