Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
Hardy S. Ferguson…that name keeps popping up in reference to the beginnings of the Great Northern Paper Company. A photo of Ferguson as a young man was recently rediscovered in the Laverty Collection at the museum.
Ferguson, born Chelsea, Massachusetts in 1868, was a young engineer who had just started his own business when he became resident engineer on the Rumford Falls Paper Company construction project. Five years later, he set up his own consulting business specializing in pulp and paper mill design. A year later (1898), Schenck hired him to make surveys for the water power development and to prepare preliminary designs for the new mill planned for Millinocket. His first bill to GNP was for $6.00 a day.
Ferguson worked for Great Northern drawing plans for various parts of the mill. The McLeod book states that it was also Ferguson who designed many of the barns, stables and other buildings at the company farms. An example, at Pittson Farm, the middle barn with a gambrel style roof followed Ferguson’s design and cost approximately $10,000. At Seboomook, in 1910, he designed two large 50 horse barns with storage for 275 tons of hay and portable pig pens in the basement.
Many of the early GNP maps have Ferguson’s name on them. The museum has copies of several including one titled Proposed Scheme for Development of Water Power on West Branch of Penobscot River, 10/1898, HS Ferguson. A December, 1900 plan shows the lay-out of a proposed cemetery for the town of Millinocket.
Another thing Ferguson probably had a hand in designing was his family’s home on Highland Avenue, currently the Knights of Columbus building. He moved his family there from the Great Northern Hotel where they had been living. Ferguson and his young family lived there until 1911when he left the company and they moved to New York City. The Laverty book states that Frank Rush then purchased the home, lived there until 1952 when he gave it over to the Knights of Columbus. During a later renovation, it was discovered that some of the house had been insulated with seaweed.
In the Museum Store! Think Christmas Shopping!!!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.