We invite you to click on the dates below to learn how the Town of Millinocket was born and how it has flourished over the years.  If you know of any important points of interest which you would like to tell us about, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

1830 – 1899

  • 1830 – Thomas Fowler builds a log cabin and settles in the area that would later become known as the town of Millinocket.
  • 1837 – A census by the State of ME shows several families living in what was then known as East Indian Township No. 2.
  • 1846 – Henry D. Thoreau hires Thomas Fowler, Sr. and son Thomas as guides for a trip to Mt. Katahdin.
  • 1882 – Francis Fowler sells the Fowler homestead located on Millinocket Stream to relative, Charles Powers.
  • 1893 – Bangor & Aroostook Railroad is completed as far as Houlton.
  • 1898 – Preliminary work by surveyors begins in Indian Township No.3 for the GNP Co. mill.
  • 1899 – GNP Co. is formed as construction begins for the mill and the town. The crew starts at 500 in June and doubles to 1000 by August. Houses for the workers go up in the area across the stream from the mill which comes to be known as “Little Italy”. The area which came to be known as “Shack Hill” also becomes a housing area.
  • 1899 – St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church is built and the Millinocket Water Company is formed.

1900-1910

  • 1900 – The town’s population reaches approx. 2,000 and on Nov. 9, the first newsprint is made on No.7 paper machine.
  • 1901 – On March 16, the Legislature enacts charter for the Town of Millinocket which holds its first town meeting on April 18. The County Highway Commission builds a road to Medway which becomes known as Medway Road.The mill begins shift work and housing increases in the area on the other side of the B & A railroad tracks which is from then on referred to as “across the tracks”. Housing develops on the mill end of Aroostook Avenue which becomes known as “Tin Can Alley” and housing also continues on Katahdin Avenue, Penobscot Avenue, and “the Flat”. 1901 is also the year that the Great Northern Hotel, which was started in 1899, is completed and St. Andrews Episcopal Church is built.
  • 1902 – Unions begin to form in the mill.Two that organize in 1902 are Local No.69, International Brotherhood of Firemen, Oilers & Helpers and Local No.27, International Brotherhood of Papermakers.Millinocket Light Company is formed and the Millinocket Common and High School opened in January. It has been noted that 1902 was the year the Town of Millinocket was entered into the Maine State Atlas. Fred M. Gates becomes the chief of police and fire departments and the town sees an epidemic of children’s disease spread through town.
  • 1903 – Typhoid fever, diphtheria and smallpox reach epidemic proportions in Millinocket and the first “Pest House” is built.This was the year Millinocket’s cemetary was established. The Baptist Church was built in 1903.The first movies were shown in town.
  • 1904 – The Congregational Church was built.
  • 1905 – Millinocket’s fire station is built and Millinocket High School has its first graduating class of 8 members.
  • 1906 – While Shack Hill homes are torn down, the Millinocket Foundry is built. Another union, Local no.12 International Brotherhood of Pulp, Sulphite and Papermill Workers is organized.
  • 1907 – Oxford Street School, and Rush’s Sawmill are built and the building for Millinocket Trust Co.finished.
  • 1909 – Millinocket Municipal Court is organized with G.W. Stearns as the first judge.

1911-1920

  • 1911 – Millinocket’s population reaches 5,000.
  • 1913 – A milk inspector is appointed and the Fire Department receives a Knox combination chemical and hose motor truck.
  • 1914 – Aroostook Avenue School is built.
  • 1919 – November 11, Millinocket Memorial Library is dedicated and the Cooperative Store is built.
  • 1920 – Dr. C.S. Bryant opens Millinocket’s first surgical hospital, Millinocket Light Co. installs electric lighting, the Fire Dept. receives a LaFrance pump, hose and chemical truck, and the town’s first playground opens on July 6.
  • The early 20’s also see Maine and Highland Avenues extended to Bowdoin Street with more houses built on the Flat. A concrete road, the first of its kind, is built on Katahdin Avenue and Central Street. The Millinocket Water Company installs a chlorinator for sterilizing drinking water.

1921-1929

  • 1921 – The Millinocket High School burns down on November 13.
  • 1923 – In September, Stearns High School opens.
  • 1925 – The Millinocket Chamber of Commerce is formed and the Fire Dept. acquires a Ford truck for still alarms and grass fires. Millinocke also saw some Ku Klux Klan activity in 1925.
  • 1926 – Millinocket celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Stearns High School gymnasium is built and a public bathing beach opened in the Pines.
  • 1927 – The Central Street bridge is rebuilt and Bangor Hydro-Electric buys Millinocket Light Company. Streets were named, houses numbered, and mail delivery began. The year also saw the first storm sewer built and a plumbing code was established.
  • 1928 – Bangor Hydro-Electric Company installs new street lights, the Bandstand is placed in the park, and a municipal skating rink was opened. On January 3, GNP Co. President, Garret Schenck dies.
  • 1929 – Electricity is installed in Little Italy. The school system establishes a health program and hires a school nurse.

1929-1939

  • 1929-33 – The Depression years. Civilian Conservation Corps camps set up on Medway Road.
  • 1930 – Horses are retired from the Fire Department. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are organized.
  • 1931 – Katahdin Avenue School is built.
  • 1931-39 – Airport Development years. 1931 – An Aviation Field Committee is formed by the town and a year later (’32) it was increased to a board. 1934 – the town acquires 45 acres for the airport. 1937 – Private flyers are appearing, the Aero Club is formed, and Northeast Airlines introduces passenger service.1939 The Civil Aeronautics Authority has a base here and the airport has two runways.
  • 1932 – A standpipe is built on what was Shack Hill, the cemetary is expanded, and Bates St., School St., and East Terrace are extended.
  • 1933 – The Knights of Columbus erect a shrine at the cemetary.
  • 1934 – GNP Co. constructs a power plant at North Twin Dam and houses in Little Italy moved from river to Prospect Street.
  • 1936 – Housing on Bates Street extended and the north end of Aroostook Avenue is built up between Second Street and the junction with Penobscot Avenue.
  • 1936-37 – Highland Ave. and Maine Ave. are expanded to North Terrace and Cherry Street bridge is built. On Main Street, the U.S. Post Office is built. Great Northern Paper Company is now the largest newsprint mill in the world.
  • 1938 – St. Martin of Tours parochial school is built and Hillcrest Golf Course is laid out.
  • 1939 – A new Fire Station is built on Aroostook Avenue and the street is extended south from Second Street to Spring Street as new house lots are laid out. The National Guard Armory is built. This is also the year Don Fendler is lost on Mt. Katahdin.

1940-1950

  • 1940 – Sunday movies are permitted.
  • 1941 – Stearns High School auditorium is built and the school system buys its first bus. December 7, Pearl Harbor disaster and the airport becomes a military emergency field.
  • 1943 – More than 600 Millinocket men and women are in the Service. Oxford Street School closes.
  • 1945-57 – An extensive home building period for the town
  • 1946 – Eastland Avenue and Maple Street are laid out and State Street expands north to the bridge. Water Street is built and the dump is moved from Central Street to Millinocket Lake Road.
  • 1947 – The wading pond in the town park is filled in and new lamp posts installed on Main Street.
  • 1948 – Bowdoin Street is extended west, North Terrace completed, and Garden & Wassau Streets extended.The State Highway bridge over the West Branch is completed and the Brownville Road officially opened as Route 11.
  • 1949 – The town enlarges the Golf Course from 6 to 9 holes and houses are built on Aroostook Avenue extension, from Second Street to Spring Street.

1951-1960

  • 1951 – The town celebrates its 50th Anniversary and the Municipal Building is opened on April 9. The town also purchases a new fire truck to replace the 1913 Knox Combination.
  • 1953 – Rush’s sawmill burns down. Housing continues on Aroostook Avenue from Central St. south to Birch St. and housing is extended on Congress St. from Central St. south to Birch St. The Elk’s Club builds a new building on Aroostook Ave.
  • 1954 – On July 4, the first Municipal Swimming Pool is opened. Central St. is extended due east to join Route 157 below the Rice Farm Road.
  • 1955 – Millinocket Community Hospital opens on March 12 and Granite St. School opens in September.
  • 1956 – Bob Mott begins Katahdin Flying Service from the Municipal Airport. Housing is begun on Iron Bridge Road, Ash and River Streets built. Granite St. opened between Medway Road and the Cherry St. bridge. Waldo and Prospect Streets are extended to Granite Street. Kelley Trailer Park is opened and new housing begins on the Millinocket Lake Road.
  • 1956-57 – Hillcrest or “New Development” housing project is started with the first section opening in 1956 and the second section opening in 1957.
  • 1957 – Town manager form of government is adopted.
  • 1958 – St. Martin of Tours convent is built.
  • 1959 – Piscataquis Bank moves into the Eugene Rush block.
  • 1960 – The Katahdin Rangers Drum & Bugle Corps is formed.

1961-1969

  • 1961 – Great Northern Hotel is torn down, a new fire truck replaces 1936 truck, B & A Railroad discontinues passenger service. On April 6, the GNP Co.’s original smokestack is taken down.
  • 1962 – GNP Co. Engineering & Research building is opened. Grant’s Dairy, Inc.,buys Sno-land Dairy which incorporated with the town’s private milk business in 1957.
  • 1963 – On December 3, a district court replaces the Municipal Court. December 7, WMKR radio station airs its first broadcast. The new Millinocket Memorial Library is dedicated on December 11 and the Millinocket Junior High opens in September. Stearns Minutemen win the New England Basketball Championship. Northern Shopping Plaza is developed.
  • 1964 – Second Street bridge is built for access to the new Junior High School. The new Episcopal Churc
  • 1961 – Great Northern Hotel is torn down, a new fire truck replaces 1936 truck, B & A Railroad discontinues passenger service. On April 6, the GNP Co.’s original smokestack is taken down.
  • 1962 – GNP Co. Engineering & Research building is opened. Grant’s Dairy, Inc.,buys Sno-land Dairy which incorporated with the town’s private milk business in 1957.
  • 1963 – On December 3, a district court replaces the Municipal Court. December 7, WMKR radio station airs its first broadcast. The new Millinocket Memorial Library is dedicated on December 11 and the Millinocket Junior High opens in September. Stearns Minutemen win the New England Basketball Championship. Northern Shopping Plaza is developed.
  • 1964 – Second Street bridge is built for access to the new Junior High School. The new Episcopal Church is opened and the old one torn down. Jerry Pond recreation development is started. Helicopter lands at the airport and airlifts caribou to Mt. Katahdin. The Millinocket Players is organized. Heritage Inn Motel built.
  • 1964-65 – Poplar St., Katahdin Ave., and Main street part of Penobscot Ave. are widened for greater traffic and mercury vapor lighting is installed on main street.On Main Street the Municipal Parking Lot was built and Millinocket Trust Co. building modernized. Women traffic officers are employed for the school street crossings.
  • 1966 – The third expansion begins in the New Development area and Wassau Street is extended east from Medway Road. Traffic is now able to access Interstate 95 from Medway.
  • 1968 – The Millinocket Band disbands after 65 years.
  • 1969 – St. Martin of Tours parochial school closes as does Bossie’s Boarding House. The town adopts the Council-Town Manager form of Governement. GNP Co. becomes part of Great Northern Nekoosa Corp. Balsam Road is laid out parallel to Central Street, starting at the Plaza.

1970 – 1979

  • 1970 – Census reports Millinocket’s population has reached 7,672. Heritage Motel burns down. New St. Martin of Tours Church replaces the town’s first church on August 18. GNP Co. lays out Pamola Trailer Park and apartment buildings begin to be built on Wassau Street near Pamola Park.
  • 1971 – Last GNP Co., log drive run on the West Branch. Coach George Wentworth retires from Stearns High School.
  • 1979 – Millinocket Historical Society is founded.