1830 - 1899
1830 - Thomas Fowler builds a log cabin and settles in the area that would later become known as the town of Millinocket.
1837 - A census by the State of ME shows several families living in what was then known as East Indian Township No. 2.
1846 - Henry D. Thoreau hires Thomas Fowler, Sr. and son Thomas as guides for a trip to Mt. Katahdin.
1882 - Francis Fowler sells the Fowler homestead located on Millinocket Stream to relative, Charles Powers.
1893 - Bangor & Aroostook Railroad is completed as far as Houlton.
1898 - Preliminary work by surveyors begins in Indian Township No.3 for the GNP Co. mill.
1899 - GNP Co. is formed as construction begins for the mill and the town. The crew starts at 500 in June and doubles to 1000 by August. Houses for the workers go up in the area across the stream from the mill which comes to be known as "Little Italy". The area which came to be known as "Shack Hill" also becomes a housing area.
1899 - St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church is built and the Millinocket Water Company is formed.
1900 - The town's population reaches approx. 2,000 and on Nov. 9, the first newsprint is made on No.7 paper machine.
1901 - On March 16, the Legislature enacts charter for the Town of Millinocket which holds its first town meeting on April 18. The County Highway Commission builds a road to Medway which becomes known as Medway Road.
The mill begins shift work and housing increases in the area on the other side of the B & A railroad tracks which is from then on referred to as "across the tracks". Housing develops on the mill end of Aroostook Avenue which becomes known as "Tin Can Alley" and housing also continues on Katahdin Avenue, Penobscot Avenue, and "the Flat". 1901 is also the year that the Great Northern Hotel, which was started in 1899, is completed and St. Andrews Episcopal Church is built.
1902 - Unions begin to form in the mill.Two that organize in 1902 are Local No.69, International Brotherhood of Firemen, Oilers & Helpers and Local No.27, International Brotherhood of Papermakers.
Millinocket Light Company is formed and the Millinocket Common and High School opened in January. It has been noted that 1902 was the year the Town of Millinocket was entered into the Maine State Atlas. Fred M. Gates becomes the chief of police and fire departments and the town sees an epidemic of children's disease spread through town.
1903 - Typhoid fever, diphtheria and smallpox reach epidemic proportions in Millinocket and the first "Pest House" is built.This was the year Millinocket's cemetary was established. The Baptist Church was built in 1903.The first movies were shown in town.
1904 - The Congregational Church was built.
1905 - Millinocket's fire station is built and Millinocket High School has its first graduating class of 8 members.
1906 - While Shack Hill homes are torn down, the Millinocket Foundry is built. Another union, Local no.12 International Brotherhood of Pulp, Sulphite and Papermill Workers is organized.
1907 - Oxford Street School, and Rush's Sawmill are built and the building for Millinocket Trust Co.finished.
1909 - Millinocket Municipal Court is organized with G.W. Stearns as the first judge.