Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum
On September 7, 1908 there was a big parade in Millinocket in honor of Labor Day. As in those early days, this was the largest parade and celebration to be held each year in town. All the mill’s union groups (referred to as the C. L. U.) marched as well as other groups. The following information is from the program booklet for that day.
The parade participants gathered at 8 AM at Union Hall and from there proceeded along Penobscot Ave., to Central Street to Katahdin Street and on to the depot to meet all trains. On the return march, the parade went to the mill office and back down Penobscot Ave. and from there to the Pavilion.
The booklet gives the names of all the union’s members at that time, making it a great genealogical resource. Some of the unions listed are: Firemens’ Union #69, Office & Papermakers’ Union, Federal Trades #11311, Carpenters & Joiners #1707, Electricians’ Union, Teamsters” Union #205 and Log Workers’ Local # 10.
One page lists sporting activities for the day and the prizes. Included were a 100 yard (for age 17 and up), a100 yard dash for boys under 16 and a two mile run (prize was $20.00). There was also a potato race, three legged race, fat men’s race (1st place $3,00, second place $2.00), a ball game, a canoe race, tug of war, greased pole ($5.00), horse race (3 bags of oats) and boxing in barrels ($5.00).
A Labor Day ball took place in the evening with a grand march, round dances, waltzes, contra dances and the two-step. The program also lists the Portland Fancy, the Boston Fancy and a Barn Dance.
The advertisements provide a wealth of information as to some of the early businesses. A few unfamiliar names included which the museum would like to learn more about include:
1. Don’t forget to visit THE GEM, continuous change of pictures from 8 AM to 10 PM;
2. W. D. Rachon Dealer in Family Supplies, New store to be located on Medway Road, Cottage Hill;
3. For a Good Time go to Tapley’s Dancing Pavilion, Just across the Iron Bridge;
4. H.W. Howard, Horseshoeing & General Jobbing, Carriages Repaired, Central St.;
5. Leo S. Warren, Jeweler & Optician, Engraving of all Kinds;
6. Powers’ Livery Stable, Carriage at depot with Great Northern Hotel upon back seat, Stable on Central St.;
7. H.F. Bragdon, For 1st class laundry work of all descriptions, Orders taken for Cut Flowers.
And more for later!
*** A Little Taste of History, a new cookbook featuring recipes from many Millinocket pioneer families and their descendants (wives of mill employees, businessmen, school and town employees and more. Includes some photos and personal notes. 200 pages. Each cookbook is $15.00 (mail orders add $5.00 SH each book). At the museum, Memories of Maine Gallery, Steel Magnolias, Katahdin General, Gracie’s Aunt’s Emporium & by mail.
***2018 Calendar with vintage photos – don’t forget to get one before the new year. Just $10.00 (by mail add $4.00SH). Pavers still available also.
*** Museum HOURS…. Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from noon – 3 PM. The new OPEN sign will be lit.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.