Did you know Northeast Airlines once made regular stops to unload/pick up passengers at the Millinocket Municipal Airport? A recent visitor to the museum posed this question and then gave some information on the subject. A look into the Dorothy Laverty book revealed some further details. The airport was constructed in the early 1930’s and in 1939 Northeast (one of the major U.S. airlines at that time) extended its service from Bangor to Millinocket, Houlton and Presque Isle. A small building served as office for passenger tickets, baggage weighing and waiting room. Northeast continued scheduled stops at the Millinocket Airport until the early 1950’s.
The museum has a small collection of local airport related photos, news articles and other paper items but would very much like to add to this. The Laverty book mentions several local pilots, flying clubs, military usage and more. It would be nice to have photos and information to add to the museum’s collection and research files. One local pilot currently in the museum’s file is Charlie Mack (Charles Mouckerezi, SHS graduate 1938). Among his accomplishments were record-setting flights in small aircraft. In 1989 he became the first man to fly a single engine solo non-stop flight from New York City to Paris retracing Charles Lindberg’s route. A few days later, he turned around and flew solo from Paris back to New York City. His plane was a Beechcraft Bonanza. The same year, he also completed a polar flight. His intention was to fly from Point Barrow, Alaska to Helsinki, Finland, but possible fuel complications (after he was in the air) made the flight extremely risky. However, he managed to complete the flight. The museum has quite a long article describing these flights.
Another article in the museum file tells of the 1956 “flaming crash” of a U.S. Air Force plane near Route 157 as it attempted to land at the airport. It was in route from Boston to Loring Air Force Base. The museum file also contains the program from a 1963 air show held at the airport featuring ground displays of WWI planes, home-built planes and many displays. There were sky divers, fly-overs from Loring and Dow Air Force Bases. There were stunt pilot demonstrations and a free plane ride for the oldest person attending the show,
*** A Little Taste of History, a new cookbook featuring recipes from many Millinocket pioneer families and their descendants (wives of mill employees, businessmen, school and town employees and more. Includes some photos and personal notes. 200 pages. Each cookbook is $15.00 (mail orders add $5.00 SH each book). At the museum, Memories of Maine Gallery, Steel Magnolias, Katahdin General, Gracie’s Aunt’s Emporium & by mail.
***2018 Calendar with vintage photos – still available. Just $10.00 (by mail add $4.00SH).
***Get your orders in for one of the laser engraved pavers. Cost $100.00 each. Up to 3 lines with up to 15 letters, symbols, spaces per line. Contact museum for form or more details. Another group of pavers will be in before July 4.
*** Museum HOURS…. Open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays from noon – 3 PM. The new OPEN sign will be lit. Weather permitting!
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.