It’s finally spring which means many people are sorting through and finding new homes for some items. The museum is often the recipient of historical bits and pieces. In recent weeks, a wide variety of items have been donated. The newest and most unique piece is a commode chair that possibly is from the Millinocket General Hospital on Maine Avenue. Made of wood, the chair has a removable seat revealing a plywood bottom with appropriate opening. The opening is fitted with a plastic bucket with cover that appears to be original (identical photos on internet). There is also a soft toilet seat. This was donated by Ann Johnson Leavitt. This artifact is now on display in the museum’s rest room. By the way, there are also several chamber pots displayed there too! That seems to be the perfect place for them!
Barb Waters brought in a BF Rush quart milk bottle (great condition), Gary Stevens added another DVD to the collection (Early Snowmobiling in the Katahdin Area) and Rodney Gagnon added another Boy Scout handbook. A train set was donated by Bill French along with several wooden houses and fence pieces. These were made by Tom Hughes, Sr., for the donor’s grandfather. The houses are replicas of several actual homes in Millinocket. They need some tender-loving care, but it is hoped they can be fixed up a bit. We hope to identify where these houses are located. One is thought to be on State Street.
The sulphite pipeline was constructed in 1961 to carry sulphite laps to the East Millinocket mill and end the need to ship them by rail. The museum recently had several photos of this pipeline donated (John Beaupain) and soon after Sandy Haynes brought in a copy of a detailed report on it written by Nick Thompson in 1964. Another technical report is a daily GNP production sheet from May 8, 1946 given by Cal Wilson. It includes columns for total production, trim, basis, speed hours down and more. It also lists the customer names and how many rolls of paper were made for the orders on that day. The museum’s collection of various mill reports, manuals, blueprints etc. continues to grow. They are being archived and are available for anyone doing research.
Hannaford had chosen May for its $2.50 reusable bag program. For every Community Bag purchased at the Millinocket store during May, $1.00 will be donated to MHS. Also, the donation container that the Millinocket Hannaford has located just as you enter the store, all monies dropped in for an unspecified period of time will be donated to the museum. Thank you, Sally and Hannaford.
***Available at the museum store………
1. “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” by Bill Geller – $30.00 ($5.00 each SH);
2. Booklet -1903 Report on Millinocket & mill – interesting statistics – $7.00 at museum
3. “Tales of Little Italy” DVD, $15.00 ($2.50 each SH)
4. “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00 ($5.00 each SH on mail orders);
5. “Spirits of Katahdin” DVD – $10.00 ($2.50 each SH);
6. Engraved pavers, $100.00 each, contact MHS for details and form; please order by mid-May for this year’s placement.
*** Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, noon – 3PM.
***Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.