Millinocket began with people coming from many parts of the world and from other locations in the U. S. They came to build the mill and to settle here. Over one hundred years later many visitors come to the area and again they come from all over the country and the world. The museum has been busy during July with some of these visitors and they have come here for many different reasons.
The museum has seen folks from Spain (genealogy questions), from China (students from a SHS sister school), India (employment) and from Canada family reunion). So far in 2019 twenty-one states plus Maine have been represented. AT hikers stop in to learn a bit of the local history and share some stories of their adventures. Many visitors have local ties and find the museum brings back memories of earlier times. Some, after seeing the various displays and seeing the kind of items the museum is interested in, make plans to donate memorabilia they have back home. We appreciate all offers to add to the collection.
Updates: 1.The latest Memories of Maine magazine is out and has an article on Millinocket’s Theaters by yours truly. David Branch, the magazine’s publisher/editor stopped by to drop off a bundle of the magazines to be given out (free) while they last.
2. A new group of pavers have been added out front by the museum sign. We are now takings orders for the next group which will be placed by next July 4th. See below for information. 3. The front porch now has two new seating spaces (swings) for everyone’s enjoyment. Come try them out when the museum is open. 4. A new exhibit has been curated by volunteers and show off many old (and strange looking) medical instruments plus prescription bottles from local drugstores (Warren’s, Emerson’s, Gonya’s, Whalen’s, Heebner’s) and more. There are several of Dr. Gilman’s instruments, dental tools of Dr. Leslie Frost and items from Dr. Bryant and Dr. Young. Come in and check it out!
Join us at the museum on August 15 from 1PM – 2PM for a book signing by author Bradford Edwards. His book Tanglefoot is a work of historical fiction set in the Chesuncook Village, Chesuncook Lake area in the 1920’s.
*** New 2020 calendars available! The theme “Beyond the Mill” was chosen to highlight the wide reach of the Great Northern Paper Company. Photos/trivia from early 1900’s to more recent times featured. At the museum, Save-a-Lot, Gracie’s Aunt’s Emporium, Steel Magnolias, and Katahdin True Value. $10.00 each, by mail add $5.00 SH.
*** At the Museum Store:
1. “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” by Bill Geller – $30.00 ($5.00 each SH);
2. Booklet -1903 Report on Millinocket & mill – interesting statistics – $7.00 at museum;
3. Millinocket by David Duplisea – $20.00 ($5.00 SH);
4. “Tales of Little Italy” DVD, $15.00 ($2.50 each SH);
5. “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00 ($5.00 each SH on mail orders);
6. “Spirits of Katahdin” DVD – $10.00 ($2.50 each SH);
7. Engraved pavers, $100.00 each, contact MHS for details and form.
*** Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, noon – 3PM.
*** Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.