Has anyone heard of a tree with the king’s mark in the Millinocket area? Going way back in Maine’s and New England’s history, the King of England had men cut marks into the bark of Eastern White Pine trees with a diameter over two feet. The marks designated the trees as the king’s property for use as masts on English ships. This mark was known as the “king’s broad arrow” (the shape was a broad arrow. This was done along the New England coast and inland from about 1711 to 1776.
The museum was contacted with an inquiry about one of these marks. Rumor has it that a tree still exists just north of Millinocket. If anyone has heard of this, please contact the museum.
The B & A Railroad’s proximity was one reason this area was selected as the site for the GNP Company’s new paper mill. Workers and supplies needed to be brought to the area. In the 1880’s work progressed on extending the railroad line into Aroostook County. In 1883 there was a caboose-office at Norcross and a station at West Seboeis. In October of 1893, the tracklayers passed North Twin and Millinocket and were near the East Branch of the Penobscot River. A 50,000 gallon water tank and pumping station, section house and one siding made up the Millinocket yard in 1893.
As the railroad was being extended, Charles Mullen and others were planning for the paper mill and in 1899, the railroad constructed a spur line from the main line to the mill yard. This track was mostly finished when work began on the mill. (See book titled Bangor & Aroostook, The Maine Railroad by Angier & Cleaves for more detail, copy at museum).
Many Millinocket men were employed by the railroad through the years. The museum now has a wooden chair that was formerly at the Millinocket station. It was donated by Betty Hopper along with a railroad worker’s lunch basket. The museum has a number of railroad photos, tickets, timetables, a stock certificate and a moose tag in the collection.
Join us at the museum on August 15 from 1PM – 2PM for a book signing by author Bradford Edwards. His book Tanglefoot is a work of historical fiction set in the Chesuncook Village, Chesuncook Lake area in the 1920’s.
*** New 2020 calendars available! The theme “Beyond the Mill” was chosen to highlight the wide reach of the Great Northern Paper Company. Photos/trivia from early 1900’s to more recent times featured. At the museum, Save-a-Lot, Gracie’s Aunt’s Emporium, Steel Magnolias, and Katahdin True Value. $10.00 each, by mail add $5.00 SH.
*** At the Museum Store:
1. “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” by Bill Geller – $30.00 ($5.00 each SH);
2. Booklet -1903 Report on Millinocket & mill – interesting statistics – $7.00 at museum;
3. Millinocket by David Duplisea – $20.00 ($5.00 SH);
4. “Tales of Little Italy” DVD, $15.00 ($2.50 each SH);
5. “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00 ($5.00 each SH on mail orders);
6. “Spirits of Katahdin” DVD – $10.00 ($2.50 each SH);
7. Engraved pavers, $100.00 each, contact MHS for details and form.
*** Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, noon – 3PM.
*** Contact me, Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net. For groups or appointments, contact the Millinocket Historical Society at P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.