Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Historical Society Museum
Questions keep arising regarding the Millinocket Cemetery and in the past I have researched and written about a few early burials in what would become the park. Recently, there have been some Facebook posts about the cemetery, and museum volunteers have been trying to uncover more information.
Plans for a cemetery in its current location were made early in Millinocket’s development. The museum has two maps showing how the basic blocks and plots would be arranged. They are labeled A-152 and A-550. The first is dated 12/31/1900 and the second 5/11/1912. At least one was drawn by Hardy Ferguson, chief consulting engineer for GNP. His name is on a great many of the early GNP maps.
A Facebook post indicates the existence of map B-4727 dated 1933 Plan of Lots Catholic Cemetery Deed plus three others. The B-4727 shows possible changes through 1958 and was done by GNP Engineering Dept. None of the above mentioned maps indicate any burials.
Another question through Facebook asks about the ownership of the land that would become the cemetery. The person asking states the belief his great-grandfather Boota (later Boutaugh) lived on East Avenue and buried his first wife and child (both died during childbirth) in the field nearby in 1901. There is a gravestone there for them.
Did Boota own the land and donate it for the cemetery as family lore suggests? Did the company own the land and donate it for the town cemetery? Are there records that show who did own this piece of land? If anyone has information on this, please contact the museum. We have also heard other names mentioned as having farmland there. The museum has one small photo showing several cows on the land that would become the nearby airport.
The early town reports have been checked with little resulting information. The museum only has a cover for the 1901 report. The 1902 report in the collection may only be a partial. In those pages, there are two items under the Poor Account where the sums of $28.25 and $27.40 were paid out for the burial of two men. Their names are included as in those early days all monies paid out for food, medical assistance to the poor, etc. were listed. For example, George Stearns was paid $10.70 for taking one of the men who died to Oldtown hospital. The town also paid for the man’s hospital stay, for Dr. C.S. Byant’s “attendance” and a Mr. Leeman for the man’s care.
Stop in at the museum with any information you may have on the cemetery!
In the Museum Store!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** 2020 Calendars – Beyond the Mill ($10)
*** DVD’s from both Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 are available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books available: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
***Museum open Thurs., Fri., Sat. Noon – 3PM, weather permitting.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.