Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
An earlier column stated that in the early days of GNP, Garret Schenck did not want “a typical company town with rowhouses and he determined that the company would retain control and would decide what was to be built and where.” A question has been posed to us by a museum visitor. When were Millinocket residents first allowed to own the land their homes were on? We, at the museum, would like to hear what readers know about this subject.
The two Laverty books discuss this issue briefly and that information follows. Laverty’s first book (the history) says, “As streets became realities, people applied for house lots.” Stearns (land agent) helped the locate their homes (value to be $750-$1000), placed 15 feet back from street and lot payments on pay-as-you-can basis as mill was just beginning production and money not always available. The book states that is it was in the 1920’s when land agent Seelye first started issuing quitclaim deeds when lot payments were completed.
Laverty’s 2nd book, So You Live in Millinocket (available to purchase at the museum) gives some additional information from McLeod’s GNP history. This says, “Between Nov. 1, 1899 and Dec. 31, 1927, Garret Schenck signed, as president, deeds to literally hundreds of lots sold by the Company in Townsites of Millinocket and East Millinocket.” It continues, “This may be a good place to spike the rumor which has persisted for seventy years that conveyances from the company for lots in these towns were not deeds, but 99-year leases…All conveyances of Company-owned land for house lots from the beginning were quitclaim deeds.”
Received information from the recent query regarding William A. Johnston opening a drug store in the Millinocket/East Millinocket area around 1906-07 until about 1918. Jay Robinson (lifelong bottle digger and collector) responded with photos of two Johnston Pharmacy bottles. The pharmacy was in East Millinocket (across from the present credit union) on the corner. At one time, visible on the door stoop, the words Johnston’s Pharmacy were visible. This information was passed on to the person who sent the query who will pass it on to Johnston’s descendant.
Author Brian Huey did a book signing at the former museum here in Millinocket in 2008 when his first book in the Perpetual series came out (three books in all with numbers 4 and 5 in the works). Much of the first novel is set in Millinocket. A recent email from Huey informs us that casting for Matthew and Maria (the two main characters) is in progress for a TV series pilot with filming hopefully to begin in 2021. All three Perpetual books are at the Millinocket Memorial Library when it reopens.
In the Museum Store!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s from both Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 are available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books available: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 for history & $10 for architecture; “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.