Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
“A special town meeting will be held in the Armory, July 18th for the following objects: To see if the town will issue bonds to the amount of $150,000 in denominations of $1,000 for the construction of the George W. Stearns High school building, the proposed bonds to bear interest at 4 1/2% percent; to see if the town will increase the salary of the town treasurer, F. W. Rush, $200 for the year 1922; to see if the town will authorize the treasurer to borrow the sum of $1000 to construct sidewalks along such streets as have been designated by the U. S. Post Office as routes to be covered by the free delivery of the mail; to see if the town will authorize the selectmen to cause all houses on the carrier routes to be numbered, and place such numbers on the houses at the expense of the owners.”
The above paragraph describes some of the town business discussed at the Millinocket town meeting in 1921. The article is from one of the scrapbooks at the museum. In July, 1921, Millinocket’s first school building (Millinocket High School and Common School was still standing, but was very crowded so planning was under way for construction of a new high school.) This early planning proved to be a great idea, as later that same year, Millinocket High School and Common School burned to the ground in Nov. 1921.
The third item, regarding sidewalk construction, tells us that in that time period, mail was only delivered to homes on streets where sidewalks existed. I wonder which streets got sidewalks from that $1000? And only on one side or both sides of the street?
The 1921 town meeting was held at the Armory. At that time, a small building on Central Street (later site of Gonya’s Garage) served as the Armory. It was also the community center for plays, dances and boxing bouts. The small building had first existed at the corner of Katahdin Avenue and Cherry Street and was later moved to Central Street. The original had served as the town’s first church (interdenominational.)
The museum will be open on July 2, July 3 and July 4, 11AM to 3PM. Since this year July 4th looks to be a bit different without the usual parade etc., we will be open our regular hours. If there is good traffic, we will stay open a bit longer. The open sign will be lit. You can also call the number below to arrange an appointment at other times!
Remember to wear a mask and social distance! Stay safe!
In the Museum Store!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s from both Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 are available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books available: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 for history & $10 for architecture; “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.