Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
The bridge across the West Branch on Rte. 11, sometimes called the “green bridge” is scheduled to be repaired or replaced. At the museum, an email from a Maine DOT representative asked for information regarding the bridge and road toward Brownville. This query led us to uncover several interesting pieces of information on the subject.
Talk began in 1926, but it was 1948 before the bridge was completed and all the previous bits and pieces of road were improved to make Millinocket to Brownville by automobile a reality. The museum has a pen (donated by the Speed family) used by Governor Hildreth to sign the order for the bridge and two photos of the governor and local dignitaries from the local Chamber of Commerce. People and businesses on the Millinocket side of the bridge were excited for this event.
A 1946 scrapbook in the collection had an article from another perspective. It looked at the need for a decent road and bridge and how the lack of such was costing the businesses in Brownville, Milo and surrounding towns.
Examples cited: 1) Ernest Ladd, owner of four sawmills (Brownville) had to get his pine logs via roads from Mattawamkeag and Lincoln; 2) John Lewis Industries 200 employees (Brownville) made tongue depressors for the Army and Navy and wooden knives, forks and spoons and used birch brought by truck from Howland or shipped from Ft. Kent; 3) In Milo, both American Thread Co. (used wooden spools) and B and A Railroad would benefit from a road direct from Millinocket.
Another resource (Sawtelle’s Ebeemee, North Brownville and the Prairie, gives this timeline for the road. In 1939, legislature appropriated monies to complete road; 1939-40, WPA & Dept. Transportation worked on Brownville end and construction reached North Twin dam area; WPA workers were transported in a dump truck with a canopy which was removed during day for construction work.
The Millinocket Chamber of Commerce was very much involved in this project from start (1920’s) to finish (1948). Some local men involved were: Frank Speed, Jack Ward, GB Moran, Carl Stockwell, Frank Rush and Frank Bowler.
In the Museum Store!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.