Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
The Girl Scouts were formed in the United States in 1912 by Juliette Low when she gathered eighteen girls in her hometown in Georgia and shared news about a new program in Europe. It would enable young girls to participate in an outdoor and educational program.
For a long time, the museum had few Girl Scout items, but in recent months that has changed. A child-size mannequin (found as a free item displayed in front of a local home) now shows off a Girl Scout uniform. The uniform belonged to Nadine Brown Webster and was sewn by her mother. It consists of a one piece dress plus a round felt hat and shorts and a regulation GS belt. Pinned to the hat is a photo of 12 year old Nadine in 1942.
An article in a scrapbook compiled by Polly Segee states that in the years 1958-1963 there were at least 262 Girl Scouts in Millinocket. This scrapbook and others donated earlier by Bobbie Allen and Dianne Bilodeau contain many articles of interest and may be viewed at the museum. Dianne recently donated a small Brownie Scout wallet to go on a belt (and other items). The museum collection also has several sashes with multiple badges, loose badges, a Brownie hat and handbooks.
Several photos of Girl Scouts and Brownies are in the collection, but one is particularly interesting. It shows nine women (local GS leaders) dressed in GS outfits of earlier days. Front and center in a vintage GS uniform is Belle Rush. Whatever happened to that uniform?
In other news, Judy Cyr and Dolly Jamieson brought in several issues of local newspapers. Dolly also donated am early photo that showed her father (Mike Creehan) driving a team of horses with a wood sled. The photo shows part of the mill in the background. Creehan hauled for GNP.
Packages continue to arrive from Randa Laplante Fitzgerald. Recent one contained kitchen gadgets, medicine bottles, opera glasses, camera, dolls and more. Now located in the Military Room is a large volume titled Collier’s Photographic History of the European War (WWI). Also in the Military Room book collection is a copy of Collier’s Photographic History of World War II donated by Ed Fitzgerald. These books and others are available for research use.
In the Museum Store!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.