Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum
Millinocket, Penobscot County Maine, population 2500, January 1904. This information is on page one of a map book by the Sanborn Map Company. This book and three more are in the collection of the Millinocket Historical Society. The 1904 book shows the layout of the downtown area with street names and information regarding water facilities and fire protection.
Water facilities at that time were listed as “Gravity system with water taken from log pond one mile distant. Mill pumps are conn’d to town system and are to be used in case of need. Pressure at P.O. 40 lbs. 40 hyds. 6 miles of water pipes. Fire Dept. Volunteer, 22 men. 2000 feet 2 1/2” hose.” Also indicated is that the fire department had no steam or hand engine. It had two independent hose carts and no hook and ladder cart.
The map key/legend tells that the following information can be found on the maps in the book: number of stories in the buildings; if roof is shingle, composite or slate; fire walls 6 inches, 12 inches or 18 inches above roof; metal or wood cornice; iron or wood doors and shutters.
This 1904 book shows streets fanning out from Penobscot Avenue to Water Street which wasn’t developed until later to Katahdin Avenue, Cherry Street and Essex Street. It appears Essex Street was intended to be parallel to Somerset St. The second book (1912), shows streets further out (Bates, Bowdoin, N. Terrace). Population was 3300 and the MFD had forty men, two horses, one H and L truck, two hose carts and a Gamewell fire alarm system (museum has main portion of this on display). Also mentioned are streets are unpaved and lighted by acetylene gas.
The 1916 map book states the population is 5000 and the fire dept. has added two chemical trucks. When fire alarm sounds, several pumps at GNP are connected to the village system. A map in this book shows streets off Medway Road (Granite, High, East, South) and also Wausau (that’s how it is spelled), Washington and Tremont.
It can be seen from these map books Millinocket’s street plan was carefully thought out early on with Penobscot Avenue, Katahdin Avenue and Central Street being the center.
In the Museum Store!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more).
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.