Preserving Millinocket’s heritage, one story at a time.

Month: February 2021

“The Northern” Magazine

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

The Northern, a monthly magazine published by the Spruce Wood Department, Division of Social Services, Great Northern Paper Company existed for a few years in the 1920’s. It was referred to as “a magazine of contact between the management and the men.” The idea came from F. A. Gilbert as he wished to offer the people working out of areas such as the Grant Farm, Rice Farm, Pittston and Seboomook “opportunities for diversion which they could not otherwise get.” These magazines would offer a variety of entertaining and informative news related to the GNP company woods operations, employees and the surrounding area. Also included were photographs and humorous anecdotes and poems. The first issue came out in April of 1921 and consisted of only four pages.
The museum is looking to complete its set of these magazines as assistant curator Leola Dubois is currently scanning the copies available. The library let us access their copies (which included several the museum didn’t have), but some issues are still needed. Here is the list of issues needed for the museum. The * indicates neither the museum nor the library has these issues.
1921 Began with April issue – need May*, June*, July*, Aug, Sept., Nov., Dec.
1922 Need April*, August, September, November
1923 Need January, March, July, August
1924 Need February, March
1925-1926 Museum has complete sets
1927 Need only December
1928 We have complete set (last issue was October). October included the index for all issues.
Any help is appreciated, even allowing us to scan issues if you do not wish to give them up. When done, we plan to make digital copies available in some way as we have had inquiries from people wishing to purchase digital or print copies.
Here’s a sample summary of an article in one issue. Labor Day was a special day for the Great Northern. In town, parades took place with representatives from the various labor unions marching. Not to be outdone, in 1924, a large “company get-together” took place at Seboomook to include men from the lumber camps plus guests from private camps and locals from Rockwood, Lily Bay and more. Some crews arrived in company “jitneys.” Men came from Pittston Farm, Forty-Mile Boarding House, Northeast Carry, Grant Farm and several other camps. Many camps provided teams for athletic activities. Private cars brought some of the well-to-do campers and boats brought others from private camps on Moosehead Lake. A chef was brought in (assisted by six lumber camp cookees) and a sit-down meal was served to two hundred people at one sitting.

Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday Noon-3PM, weather permitting!
In the Museum Store!
*** 2021 Calendars still available, $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each. 2022 calendar will be available by summer!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

Happenings…February 1921

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

Millinocket, February 1921-1926…some of what was taking place back then as found in news articles from that era!
“Looking forward to the annual Hayseeder’s Jig.” The Hayseeders, 50 prominent citizens of the flourishing community, planned the event. There was “a platform resembling a cow shed strewn with straw, a cart and water trough.” The Chateau Orchestra played for a grand march, square dance and vocal selections.
“The majority of our sick people and there are many, are recovering from the recent attacks of grippe and pneumonia. A letter received from a family member in Virginia reports the same health conditions in that Southern climate.”
“Manager Clyde Folsom of the Millinocket band announces the first rehearsal in the Armory at 7:30. Quite a number of new men will join and with them the band is hoped to number over 30 members. Eldon Morgan will lead this year and with the new beautiful new band stand as an inspiration, it is expected that the season will be most successful.”
“The proprietor of the Dream Theater will give a good-sized percentage from the picture to be shown on Tuesday of this week to the Baptist Church rebuild.” (Note: the Baptist Church had burned earlier and funds were being raised to rebuild.)
“A very delightful box social by the Ladies’ Loyal Orange Lodge was held at James Rush Hall. Auctioneers were Fred Gates and Harry Carroll.”
“The Laugh-a-Lot Club met this week for a literary and musical program.”
“The 3 Links Club held the second in a series of old-fashioned dances at the Odd Fellow Hall.”
“The Child Study Club met at the Brick School House. Mrs. G. W. MacKay had charge of the program.”
Among new books available at the library “for Mah Jongg enthusiasts” is Snyder’s Ma Jung Manual. “It has been accepted as the official rule book of the game as played in America. Two copies are in the library and are in great demand.”
“A Federal department collector will be at the Great Northern Hotel on Feb. 25-27 to assist anyone in filling out income tax returns.”
These are just a sample of the articles in the scrapbooks. There were a very large number of social clubs at the time plus various groups from churches and organizations. There were small “clubs” formed by neighborhood groups or those with a common interest.

Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday Noon-3PM, weather permitting!
In the Museum Store!
*** 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. 2022 calendar will be available by summer!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

Genealogy References

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

Searching one’s family tree continues to be one of the most popular hobbies in the United States. The museum frequently gets asked to assist with someone’s search. The Research/Genealogy Room has quite a bit of local material for people to look at. Recently, the Millinocket Memorial Library donated several books that might be useful to our visitors. The donated books, listed below, are focused on information mostly from New England and the Maritime Provinces and Quebec and from the 1700-1800’s. Some contain specific data on persons and some are indexes to other sources available at such places as the Bangor Public Library and Maine State Library. I personally referred to some of these same books in past years at those libraries (before computers and sites like Ancestry.com). 1. The Famine Immigrants, Vol.1, Jan. 1846-June 1847;
2. Maine Families in 1870 (Maine Genealogical Society) (2 volumes);
3. New England Marriages Prior to 1700 (Torrey);
4. Index of Persons (New England Historical & Gen. Register) (3 vol.);
5. Index of Subjects & Places & Index (Vol. 51-112) (N Eng Hist & Gen Register);
6. Genealogical Dictionary of Maine & New Hampshire (Noyes, Libby, Davis);
7. Genealogical Register of the First Settlers of New England (Farmer);
8. American Passenger & Arrival Records (Tepper) (has a few lists);
9. Nova Scotia Vital Statistics, 1852-1854;
10. Researching Your Ancestors in New Brunswick, Canada;
11. Genealogical Handbook for Atlantic Canada;
12. Dictionary of Families of Quebec, 1730.
*** Please go to www.bangor.com/cmm and do a write-in vote for Millinocket Historical Society in the Aroostook/Northern Penobscot/Piscataquis section. The Bangor Savings Bank provides this chance for people to vote in their Community Matters More program through the month of February as a way to help non-profits. With your help, MHS has a chance to win up to $5000 if we can get enough votes. Voters must reside in Maine or New Hampshire (if you do not, maybe ask friends who do to vote for MHS). Voting is simple and the rules are on the site. Thank you!
Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday Noon-3PM, weather permitting!
In the Museum Store!
*** 2021 Calendars still available! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. *** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.

The “Blue” Photos

Odds and Ends From The MUSEUM!
By Trudy Wyman, Curator, Millinocket Society Museum

A recent visitor to the museum mentioned he had a “blue photograph.” These are referred to as cyanotypes and the museum has several of them. These photographic prints are from the late 1800’s – early 1900’s and show amazingly sharp detail for their size. Most are about 4” x 6”. This photographic process was first used in the early 1840’s. Simply stated, it involves sensitizing a paper with two types of iron salts. After drying, the paper is then placed in direct contact with the negative and exposed to sunlight until the image appears. The print is then rinsed with water to draw out the brilliant blue color. Early photographers used this method – thus the name blueprints.
One collection at the museum contains fifty-three cyanotypes and has scenes of homes under construction, the mill, Stone Dam, the first jail, a store that appears to be a bakery or candy shop, the Gas House, and ice cutting on Millinocket Stream. Among the homes shown is the George Stearns house on Highland Avenue with a woman, possibly Mrs. Stearns in a long black dress, standing on the porch. One photo is a view of work being done digging into the hill on Central Street. Another view, from the opposite direction shows the intersection of Penobscot Avenue and Central Street with several businesses visible. Four of the photos are possibly interior views of the GN Hotel (lobby, bedroom views, a barber chair, and an early industrial-type kitchen). A second group of these cyanotypes shows the exteriors of the Great Northern Hotel and the Mountain View Hotel. There are several views of Penobscot Avenue showing various stores and businesses as well as wagon and buggy ruts in the dirt street. Two pictures show a Fourth of July horse and buggy parade. The Laverty collection has cyanotype views of Shack Hill and very early Little Italy.
New items received in 2021: Millinocket Trust Co. money bag, dictionary of paper trade terms, photo SHS band in front of US Capitol (Sandra Michaud); photos, playbills, news articles from Millinocket Players productions (Patrick Welch III). Patrick Welch Jr. created many great characters in many performances with that local theater group.
Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday Noon-3PM, weather permitting!
In the Museum Store!
*** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town!
*** Preowned yearbooks – $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks – $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or trudy18@beeline-online.net or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.